Tuesday, March 30, 2010

New Beginnings

I’m just starting to feel that spring is here. The daffodils are finally beginning to open, at least a month later than usual, and both the conservatory and the smaller tunnel are bursting with small plants. I still find this time of the year really exciting and I inspect every pot and tray of seedlings daily, checking to see what, if anything, has germinated overnight.
For many years I have planned my propagation campaign with the help of a moon diary. The one I use is Gardening and Planting by the Moon by Nick Kollerstrom. I don’t pretend to understand the finer details, I leave all that to Nick, but it works for me. I also know that the mere mention of the moon sends some growers crazy, insisting that it is all a load of rubbish and pointing out that the vast majority of growers have nothing to do with it and still produce good crops. The way I look at it is that it at the very least does no harm, and once, years ago I did a trial in my tunnel, which proved to me, in that instance, that it did work.
I sowed radish, (as it germinates and matures very quickly) in my tunnel, in the same bed, during the same week. One sowing on a root day, and one sowing on a leaf day. This wasn’t scientific in that I didn’t have a control bed, but after about five weeks the difference was unmistakable. The radish sown on the root day had very little leaf and fine swollen roots and the radish sown on the leaf day had lots of leaf and tiny roots. I‘m sure the leaf day sowing would have caught up but obviously something was different.
I was talking the other day to a scientist, who had for many years studied seaweed. She confirmed my instincts about this as she said that seaweed growth is definitely dictated by the moon. So, I am going to try some more experiments this year. Meanwhile it is a great discipline. Knowing that today is a fruit day, I will do my utmost to sow the last of my tomato seed, cucumbers and a few early courgettes to plant in the tunnel. My first trial will be with tomatoes. Using the same variety sowing on different days just to see what difference, if any, it makes.
Now I am off outside to inspect the seed trays in the tunnel, worrying the seeds into germinating quickly in the hope of making up those lost cold weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jean!

    Nice to hear you finally have daffodils. They are my favourite. Ours flowered about a week ago, some didn't make it to flowering as their growth was so stunted by the frost they didn't have the strength to continue growing with the dogs trampling on them so they've given up!

    Only just beginning with our veg plot really as it's just been so cold (and now it's gone cold again), we planted potatoes the other day. It was only meant to be earlies but the 'boys' got excited and planted all the potatoes. No idea if they will grow. I wanted to plant by the moon but they ended doing them on Sunday gone, the day before root days as it was supposed to pour yet again on Monday.

    I've planted my salad table by the moon though. Gary made me a raised bed that is like a table (to keep hens, dogs & cat of it) and made a frame that sits on top like a large cloche so hoping that will help. The water bottle cloches I put over my herbs have worked brilliantly!

    So, I'm very excited to see what we get. I've yet to sow the carrots or anything else preferring to wait another couple of weeks to give them a chance. Will get some fleece to cover them from carrot root fly and so on.

    Anyway, best of luck with the opening. We'll be down soon, would have loved to go this weekend but going to my parents in Limerick.

    Talk soon,
    Marian (that was on the gardening course last weekend in Jan)
    (p.s. our Escallonia is gone dreadful, it started last summer and is gone very bad now, not sure yet what we'll do, it was looking great up until then. The department of agriculture have said it's a fungus that has come in from Australia but they offer no advice what to do)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was guiding Jacqui from the Southern Star through some "secret corners" on Garinish Island and she talked about you and your blog. I love garden blogs so I hope to read more from you soon! Eliane from Glengarriff

    ReplyDelete